Let’s first make peace with our pores! They are the pathway for oil to come out and hydrate our skin which ultimately keeps us looking supple and youthful. Making sure those pores aren’t trapped with solidified oils is the best way to keep them from getting larger. But if you suffered from breakouts and lots of oil production in your youth that’s likely the cause of your pore size.
Now, to be clear, you cannot technically change the size of the pores – THE GOAL is to re-texture the skin which makes the pores look smaller – it’s kind of like going from orange peel to the skin of an apple.
In esthetic school I was on a mission to resurface my skin, minimize my pore’s appearance and to make my ugly acne scars go away. The great news is that you can’t re-texture your pores without reducing fine lines, wrinkles and pigmented sun damage too – your skin improves on so many levels when you resurface it – AND it’s actually quite easy to do! Depending on the severity of your pore size, your patience level and your budget, there are two options to resurface your skin for amazing results.
#1 – The Professional Route!
Hands Down the most effective way to resurface your skin is to go to a spa for a series of peels. If the idea of ‘chemical peels’ freaks you out, let me help ease your mind. I’m not talking about those intense chemical peels that you see in Hollywood movies where the actress is hidden away in seclusion for weeks while her skin heals. GET REAL, ain’t nobody got time for that! I’m talking about a series of glycolic or lactic acid peels that effectively replace your more textured skin with a smoother, more radiant appearance.
Licensed Estheticians can use peels that are forceful and highly effective, so the results will be seen over 3-6 peels. Spas usually run specials for a series of peels because they want you to see results. You can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars for a series of 6 peels but this is going to be PROFESSIONAL and much quicker in terms of seeing results. The series is the important part because going in just once for a peel won’t really resurface the skin as much as it will give you a deep exfoliation. For the real transformation you want to go every 7-10 days. By having a peel about once a week you don’t allow your skin to completely regenerate, so you are resurfacing deeper and deeper with each peel until you ultimately have the refined, smooth skin you’re looking for.
#2 – The At-Home Route!
Now that I’ve told you all about Glycolic Acid Peels it might be tempting to run out and buy one on Amazon to do-it-yourself at home.
That Is A Recipe for Disaster!
Did you want to look like that Hollywood actress we were talking about earlier? Here’s the thing, professionals use Glycolic Peels with a higher percentage of acid because they know how long to keep them on and what to look for if the peel starts to injure your skin. If you were to do this at home – you could literally FRY your sweet face! If you’re looking for products that will give you a beautiful affect – without a nasty chemical burn, you want to use ‘mini-peels’ and do an at-home series about 5-7 days apart. True, it won’t be AS effective as the spa treatments but resurfacing with effective ‘at home’ products is the second best option for sure. Again, here are a few recommendations for products that are paraben, sulfate and phthalate free – click on the images below to learn more about these products or purchase online.
- Whether you choose the professional route or decide to use an at-home product, you absolutely have to commit to using a thick moisturizer because your skin heals quicker when it’s hydrated – plus moisturizing makes you look younger!
- Don’t do peels in the summer months, you’ll expose your skin to tons of sun damage. Fall and Winter are the best times for peels but remember to still protect your skin with Sunscreen!
- If you have lots of acne or rosacea – don’t peel yourself – go to the professionals. Your skin will thank you for it!
- Listen to your skin & don’t be aggressive. If your skin is showing you that you’re being too rough, back off and listen. Slow and steady wins the race!
- If you live in the Seattle Area and are looking for a great spa to have a series of peels done, I would highly recommend Head to Toe Day Spa in West Seattle – It is THE BEST!